Take Action Every Week With The Indivisible Plan Of Resistance
With this weekly plan of action from Indivisible.org we can get coordinated in our efforts to have Donald Trump removed from power.
We’re keeping it short and sweet this week: Congress is still out on August recess, which means now is a great time for you to hold events at home to demand action on your priorities.
That means telling your members of Congress that you expect them to Defund Hate. We’ll do this by cutting funding to ICE and CBP, open an impeachment inquiry, and pass legislation to reduce gun violence. But don’t worry, we’ve got resources to help you with each of those priorities:
- Tips and tactics for planning a Defund Hate action
- A really useful one-stop-shop for Impeachment August
- A call script to demand that Mitch McConnell and the Senate vote on legislation to make it harder for people to exploit loopholes that make it too easy to get a hold of deadly guns
And don’t forget: when Congress gets back to DC (on September 9!), they’re sure to have a packed agenda. That means that right now is your best chance to make it clear what you expect of them this fall, before they get overtaken by another Trump-driven news cycle.
Here’s what we’re focused on:
Your 6 Weekly To-Do Plan
- Get ready for the September funding fight by texting Defund Hate to 977-79. We’ll send you the latest updates on our plan for the Week of Action, and we’ll let you know when events are registered near you.
- Call your member of Congress right now at 1-844-909-0232 to tell them you demand that they cut funding for ICE and CBP in this September’s funding bill. We’ll give you a script and connect you directly with your representative’s office.
- Get up-to-speed using our Defund Hate toolkit with guidance on planning an August recess event (great practice for the September Week of Action!) or laying the groundwork for your local September day of action. We’ve even got a leave-behind you can print and use to guide your conversations with your Members of Congress and their staff.
- This August, demand your representative publicly support a formal impeachment inquiry in the House. Impeachment August is well underway! The ask is simple: find a town hall or register your own district office visit and demand that your representative in the House support a formal impeachment inquiry. A majority of House Democrats support an inquiry, but we need as many on board as possible to ensure that we learn the truth about Trump’s abuses of power and corruption.
- Use this script to call your senators now to say their thoughts and prayers are not enough. In the weeks since the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, three more plots to commit acts of mass murder have been foiled. This is a crisis: every senator should publicly demand Mitch McConnell call an emergency session to debate and vote on gun violence prevention legislation AND cosponsor S. 42, which would close loopholes and implement universal background checks for gun purchases. Read more in our updated resource here.
- Register for the September monthly activist call. Join us for our next activist call on Thursday, September 5 at 8pm Eastern Time / 5pm Pacific Time, to get the latest updates on Defund Hate, the 2020 race and more!
This week, we’re reviewing some recently released policy plans from candidates, catching up on some shifts in polling, and looking ahead to the September primary debate. If you haven’t yet, check out 2020 grassroots playbook to brush up on our priority issues, like immigration and democracy reform.
- Warren and Sanders roll out plans aimed at racial justice. This week, Senators Warren and Sanders flexed their progressive policy muscle by debuting two new big, bold proposals. Senator Warren released a plan focused on tribal relationships and supporting Native communities, while Sanders’ plan was focused on addressing and undoing America’s system of mass incarceration.
- It’s early, and polls are fickle… but something Warren is doing is working. We understand that polls this far out from the primaries and caucuses are about as reliable as forecasts for the weather this far out. But, they do give us a good snapshot of who people are reacting to right now. And by any measure, Senator Warren is getting some good reactions. Although she and the rest of the field are still behind Vice President Biden in polls, her gains show that voters are engaging with her consistent progressive message on the trail.
- Candidates are scrambling to make it to the next debate stage. With only a few short weeks before the next primary debate in Houston, candidates are working overtime to reach the minimum threshold for participation before the August 28 deadline. So far, nine candidates have qualified with both the donor and polling requirements, with several more right on the cusp. If a candidate who has spoken to your priorities is still fighting to make it to the stage, think about how you can help them reach their goal!
Support the Movement
We outlined a lot of work in emails to you over the past few weeks. We’ve talked about gun violence and racism. We’ve talked about impeachment and the filibuster. We’ve talked about beating Trump, taking back the Senate, protecting the Democratic House and more. And that’s just scratching the surface of what’s coming.
It takes a lot of things to get all of that done. And one of our jobs at Indivisible is to provide tools and resources so that we can make all of that calling, pressuring, pushing, speaking out, demanding and doing the work as easy and effective as possible for you.
If you can, please chip in $5 or more. Your donation supporting Indivisible Action will fund those tools and is an investment in winning in 2020, impeaching Trump and pushing forward all of our progresive priorities.
If you’ve saved your information with ActBlue Express Lane, your donation to Indivisible Action will go through immediately:
All the work you do for the rest of August will set the table for this September, when we’ll take on ICE and CBP, Trump, and the NRA in some of the biggest fights left this year. We’re proud to be in this movement with you — let’s keep it up.
P.S. We talked a lot about We Are Indivisible (THE BOOK!) this weekend. We cannot wait to share it with you and we’re getting closer and closer to its publication. It’s a story of democracy under threat. It’s the story of a movement rising up to respond. And, it’s a story of what comes next. Remember, you can pre-order your copy here.
Indivisible Project is a locally-led, people-powered movement of thousands. A call out to local groups in red, blue, and purple states, and in urban, suburban, and rural areas. Our mission is to empower and lift up a grassroots movement. Local groups to defeat the Trump agenda, elect progressive leaders, and realize bold progressive policies. Indivisible Project is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. Donations are not tax deductible. Repeated here as a public service from Motiv8ionN8ion.com